Greenacres Primary Academy (South Pennine Academies)

Respect, Responsibility and Really Good Manners

Special educational needs & Disabilities (SEND) report September 2019


Local Authorities and schools are required to publish information about the services they expect to be available for children and young people with SEND aged 0-25. The Local Authority refers to this as the ‘Local Offer’ and information will be available on the Oldham Council website.

The changes in the Children and Families Bill affect the way children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) are supported in schools. The new approach began in September 2014 and should place pupils at the centre of learning.

The key areas of the new legislation are:

  • Young people and their families should be involved in discussions about the support they need, so they can share their knowledge and feed back to the school on the young person’s progress.
  • Education, health and care plans (EHC) will replace statements of special educational needs. New assessments for additional educational needs will follow the EHC guidelines from September 2014.
  • School Action and School Action Plus are replaced by SEND support, a single category for children who need extra specialist support
  • There are 4 areas of SEND:
    1. Communication and interaction
    2. Cognition and learning
    3. Social, emotional and mental health difficulties
    4. Sensory and/or physical


We look forward to working with pupils and parents/carers to ensure fully inclusive access to our learning by meeting the needs of children with SEND in a mainstream setting, wherever possible.

See below for more information:


How do we identify individual special educational needs?

  • When children have identified SEND before they start at our school, we work closely with the people who already know them and use the information already available to identify what their SEN will be in our school setting and how we can manage it.
  • If you tell us you think your child has a SEN we will discuss this with you and monitor it. We will share what we discover with you and agree with you what the next steps will be and what you can do to help your child.
  • If our staff feel that your child has a SEN this may be because they are not making the same progress as other children; our children are very closely tracked and if they are not making the expected progress they will receive interventions related to their need. We will involve the school Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (Senco) who will observe them, assess their understanding of what we are doing in school and use tests to find out what is causing the difficulty. If the child still does not make progress they will be put on our SEND register in order to receive SEND support. If we require further help or advice we may contact the specialist SEND Team or refer your child to outside agencies, such as speech and language therapy.


 If my child has SEND who will be involved?

  • Before any SEND are identified your child’s class teacher will make sure your child’s learning is suited to them. They will adapt the way learning is approached and supported before seeing the SENCO (see below) about the need for anything additional. If SEND is identified, you will be asked for your views in the setting of targets for their learning. Staff will use any strategies, equipment or approaches identified as helpful to your child’s progress. Class Teachers and Teaching Assistants work together on the progress of your child, which may include interventions or one to one work. Your child’s views will also be a part of this process, if possible.
  • The Special Educational Needs Coordinator, Mrs Khan will help the class teacher in identifying children with SEND and advise on what else can be tried within the classroom. Once children are identified, the Senco will then liaise with school staff and help with setting appropriate targets and choosing suitable interventions to help your child make progress. Mrs Khan also coordinates the involvement of outside agencies such as Educational Psychology or a Child’s Therapist such as a Speech and Language Therapist. You will be contacted regarding outside agency involvement and the outcome of their work.
  • Directed by the class teacher or Senco, Teaching Assistants help to support your child’s learning in class, either by directly working with them, or by working with others in the class to allow the class teacher to work directly with your child. They also take children for small group or one to one intervention work, designed to help your child make greater progress.

How do we involve parents/carers in identifying SEN and planning for the best outcomes?

  • We are a child and family centred school, so you will be involved in all decision making about your child’s SEND.
  • When we assess SEND we discuss it with you to determine whether your child’s understanding and behaviour are the same at school and home; we take this into account and work with you so that we are all helping your child in the same way to make progress.
  • We will ask you to share your views in the setting of targets. You will also be involved in monitoring your child’s progress in termly review meetings with the class teacher and any other relevant members of staff.


 How do we adapt the curriculum so that we meet the needs of all children?

  • All teachers deliver high quality teaching and have high expectations of all the children in the class. Lessons are planned to match the needs of individuals or specific groups of children, making them easier or more challenging so that every child is able to learn at their own pace and in their own way. We will provide additional resources as required or as recommended.
  • We have a range of interventions and resources in school to support children with SEND. These are tailored to suit individualised learning and to also support children who may have difficulties in other areas such as speech language and communication, social skills or motor difficulties.
  • We have trained staff so that we are able to adapt to a range of SEND - specific learning difficulties, including dyslexia, (SpLD); autistic spectrum disorder (ASD); speech, language and communication needs (SLCN); and social, emotional and mental health difficulties.
  • Many staff have received training in dyslexia, sensory issues and Level 1 training in Autism from the Autism Education Trust. Teachers are trained according to the needs of the children in their care. Additional training includes delivering speech and language programmes, BLAST 1 and Lego Therapy.


How do we assess and review pupil progress towards the outcomes we have targeted for children?

  • We use the academy tracking programme to check the progress of all children in Reading, Writing and Maths.
  • We use PIVATS to assess progress in smaller steps and at a slower pace than the usual national curriculum levels.
  • We check how well a child understands and makes progress in each lesson through ongoing assessments and monitoring.
  • Our Senior Leadership Team monitor the progress of all children every half term at tracking meetings and reviews. We discuss what we are doing to make sure all children make good progress, including those with SEND. Any children not making the required level of progress will be highlighted for additional support and intervention.
  • For children with SEND, teachers discuss progress with parents at parents evening or termly reviews. Children with EHC Plans will have three reviews each year. The Annual Review is reported to the Local Authority.


 What equipment or resources do we use to give extra support?

  • We use visual timetables and cues throughout lessons.
  • Various ICT Programs
  • We deliver speech & language programmes provided by the Speech Therapy Service. A therapist will demonstrate to school staff how to use the programme and this will then be taught and assessed after a given period of time.
  • We use iPad Apps for children with communication difficulties as well as other ICT equipment and programs to support specific needs
  • Any specific physical requirements will be assessed individually and equipment will provided to meet those needs with the help of Local Authority SEND physical impairment team.
  • Advice and equipment from the HI and VI services can also be obtained.
  • Stair lifts and disabled toilets are available for wheelchair users.


 Which extra support services do we involve to help us meet SEN?

We use a wide range of services to support our children and families- for more information visit the Oldham council website.

  • We have support from specialist teachers/support staff for accessing the curriculum and extra work on SEND related needs (speec language and communication, hearing impairment, visual impairment, emotional needs and severe learning difficulties, ie. autism)
  • We get support from other Local Authority services, SEND Specialists (QEST), Educational Psychologists and Speech Therapy as well as working collaboratively with other Oldham
  • We get support from Occupational Therapy (OT) for children who need assessment for special seating or other specific equipment.
  • We get support from Physiotherapy for children who need any physical support.


What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

All children should be happy at school so that learning is as effective as it should be. We do offer help to children who face emotional difficulties. In addition to the high quality class teaching, we run specific programmes for small groups of children. These are most often run by a teaching assistant but under the direction of the classteacher or the SENCo. We use these sessions to focus on targets to help make progress in specific areas. We also use individualised programmes usually on a one to one basis, often supported by outside agencies.


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom?

As an inclusive school, every child has the opportunity to access all areas of the curriculum. Therefore provision for trips and activities will be adapted, wherever possible to meet individual needs. Any child needing specific help will have this discussed between school and home before any visit or activity.

  • We have a number of after school activities, which are open to all children. Should any child need support to access these activities, school will make the necessary arrangements.


How will school support my child in their transition into our school and when they leave us?

At Greenacres we recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and we take steps to ensure that any move is as smooth as possible.

  • For children entering Greenacres Nursery or Reception classes information will be gathered from parents/carers and all involved agencies regarding any SEND. Any necessary support will be put into place on their entry into school. Additional visits to school are encouraged for those children who may find the transition difficult between home and school.
  • Meetings will be arranged for those children who are already known to Early Years SEND Services to make school aware of their needs to ensure the correct support is in place.
  • Children with disabilities may require the support of the local authority physical impairment team and/or the moving and handling team.
  • Advice and training from the medical profession will be sought if necessary.
  • School encourage visits from local secondary schools and staff are made aware of any pupils who will need extra support around transition.
  • Transition within school is supported with extra visits to the new class for children with SEND.
  • We make sure all relevant information is discussed and sent to the SENCo of the secondary school. We invite them to a review meeting to meet parents and discuss needs. 


How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

If your child continues to make little or no progress, despite high quality teaching targeting their needs, the class teacher and the SENCo will assess whether the child has a significant learning difficulty. Where this is the case, in consultation with yourselves as parents/carers, an agreement about the level of SEND support that is required will take place. The support will be carefully monitored to look at the impact. If there is no impact, or very little, it may be necessary to apply for an Education Health and Care plan to further support the child’s needs.

Schools receive funding for all pupils including those with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities and they meet pupil’s need from this (including equipment). The local authority may contribute if the cost of meeting an individual pupil’s needs is more than £10,000 per year.

If the assessment of a pupil’s needs identifies something that is significantly different to what is usually available, there will be additional funding allocated. Parents will have a say in how this is used. You will be told if this means you are eligible for a personal budget. This must be used to fund the agreed plan.


Who can I contact for further information?

  • For initial concerns contact the class teacher and then the SENDCo, Wendy Khan.
  • There are a number of parent support groups, please see Oldham Authority local offer or come into school and speak to the SENDCo.
  • Oldham’s parent/carers forum is called POINT (Parents of Oldham in Touch). This is an umbrella organisation for all parents and carers of children & young people with Special Educational Needs, disabilities and complex medical needs. They work with Oldham Council, education, health and other providers to make sure the services they plan and deliver, meet the needs of disabled children and their families.


What to do if you as a parent/carer are not happy with the decision or what is happening?

  • Your first point of contact is always the person responsible – this may be the class teacher, the SENDCo or the Headteacher. Explain your concerns to them first. If you are not satisfied that your concern has been addressed, speak to the Headteacher then ask for the school Governors
  • If your concern is with the local authority, contact the Complaints and Representations Officer, contact details as follows:



Complaints and Representations Officer

Freepost – RRGY-TJSR-GHGZ PO Box 40

Level 8, Civic Centre West Street Oldham, OL1 1XJ

Tel: 0161 770 1129

The Parent Partnership Service provides independent, individual information and advice for parents of children with special educational needs. Vis for more information.