Your child’s attendance is extremely important because it is directly linked to their progress. Oldham Council expects all students to achieve an attendance level of at least 95% in every school year which equates to around nine days (or nearly two weeks) therefore it is imperative that absences are kept to an absolute minimum.
The information below tells you what you should do if your child is absent from school:
If your child is going to be absent from school you must inform the school office before 9.30am on 0161 770 5350. If your child's absence is not reported to us then it will be recorded as unauthorised. If you know in advance that your child is going to be absent from school, please inform the office as soon as you can.
Examples of authorised absences:
- hospital or orthodontist appointment (evidence required - see below for examples)
- emergency doctor or dentist appointment - routine appointments must be made outside of school hours
- funeral (one day only)
- reported illness - the school may ask for medical evidence
Types of medical evidence (this must be taken to the school office):
- Medical appointment card / letter
- Copy of prescription showing name and date.
- Prescribed medication with pharmacist label showing name and date.
- Unfit for school declaration from GP.
- Hospital discharge letter.
Examples of unauthorised absences:
- leave of absence not approved by the school i.e. holiday requests
- absence NOT reported on the day or explained upon return to school.
- arriving late after registers have closed.
- routine doctor or dentist appointments
Leave of absence
From 1st September 2013, the law does not allow parents to take their child out of school during term time. Any activity, holiday or event should be arranged during the school holidays. If you take your child out of school without permission during term time then the Local Authority will be informed and you will receive a Penalty Notice. This costs £60 per child, per parent if paid within 21 days increasing to £120 per child, per parent if paid between 22 and 28 days.